The Canadian Sport Risk Registry contains a number of common risks and is updated following each Risk Management Workshop. The risks and solutions are presented generically and anonymously, to provide insight for sport leaders to think differently about the risks that are ‘keeping them up at night’.
Lack of sound hiring practices
Lack of formal procedures for selecting coaches and other team personnel, lack of clarity around screening volunteers, lead to unsafe environments for national team activities.
- NSO has both formal and informal procedures for screening coaches and other personnel.
- Have strict policies for travel, accommodation and supervision for teams.
- Personal coaches are restricted to very narrow responsibilities. Institute more formal selection procedures to select coaches for teams, involving application, portfolio and interview component.
- Implement ten safe steps of screening (See Volunteer Canada - www.volunteer.ca) with all national teams, including police checks, using a phased approach.
- Implement ten safe steps of screening with all national teams, including police checks, using a phased approach. See Volunteer Canada.
- Create and adhere to formal volunteer selection criteria. Provide volunteer job descriptions and expectations.