The Canadian Sport Risk Registry contains a number of common risks and is updated following each Risk Management Workshop. The risks and solutions are presented generically and anonymously, to provide insight for sport leaders to think differently about the risks that are ‘keeping them up at night’.
Lack of depth and balance of sport performance across the country
That the sport lacks balance or depth across the country. A small number of clubs dominate in terms of performance, and PTSOs are highly variable in terms of capacity to develop the sport.
- Enter into Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) with PTSOs to identify specific roles and responsibilities in sport development. These can be customized based on capacity of the PTSO.
- Offer club rewards such as seed money, development grants, matching grants, awards, and recognition.
- Target specific clubs for enhanced support (financial, administrative, leadership)
- Consider organizing NSO services and staffing by region to maximize leadership, capacity and support for PTSOs and clubs (this may be especially beneficial in Atlantic Canada).
- Have strong technical leadership at national office, and commit to sharing information and supporting PTSO efforts in the technical area.
- Develop a certification type program for club managers, as part of a club excellence type program to enhance club capacity.
- Include a club management module into NCCP curriculum.
- Align championship events with LTAD principals.
- Rotate location of major championships to improve on accessibility and to increase visibility.
- Use social media to create excitement around the sport or event.
- Re-organize PTSO's into regional associations to pool resources and deliver better training to all athletes across the country.
- Have regular scheduled meetings with PTSO EDs.
- Consider simplifying LTAD with a focus on the end user.
- Strike committees to plan and evaluate the high-performance path, drawing on previous experience.
- Explore avenues to develop high-performance talent outside of traditional talent streams.
- Provide coach development and mentoring opportunities.